Sunday, May 15, 2011

Something Frugal and Healthy

We are one of those type of families that loves broccoli.  Even my 2 year old screams "more broccoli pleeeeease" at dinner :) However we really only like to eat the broccoli florets and usually discard the stems.  This got me thinking...how could I use the stems too to eliminate waste?

I use Ziploc steam bags on the regular (pretty much because they are fool proof).  So I just reuse the same bag I used for our dinner and steam up the stems.

Throw them into the food processor with a little bit of water just to help it blend together (I'm sure you can also use the blender if you don't have a food processor).


And then you have yourself a puree.

I put mine in a plastic bag so it will freeze flat and store easily in the freezer.  You can add this into any red sauce (spaghetti, lasagna, marinara, etc).  Great since I found out that broccoli has more Vitamin C than an orange and almost as much Calcium as milk!  How awesome to add so many vitamins into your food! :) ENJOY!


1 comment:

  1. What a GREAT idea! My family also loves broccoli, and I am always bummed that we end up throwing so much of it out. I don't have a food processor so I will try a blender.

    ReplyDelete