Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Crockpot Refried Beans

I have been reading online about people trying to make their own refried beans and thought since we are working on saving money and budgeting I would try it since buying dry beans is a lot less expensive than the canned counterpart.  The verdict-WE LOVE THEM!!!  I got the bags of dried beans 2lbs for $1.97 and a couple onions for $0.50 (ish).  So for a total of about $2.50 I was able to make over 2 lbs of refried beans!!  Ok, so here is all it takes.  I found this recipe at Dinner's Ready:


6 cups of dry pinto beans (rinsed)(or 2lb)
2 onions, peeled & halved
9 cups of water
10 t salt (for reduced sodium use 5 t salt which is what I did)

2 1/2 t pepper

4 T minced garlic

1/4 t ground cumin

Put all the ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for about 8 hours. After they are done, drain all of the liquid out and SAVE THE LIQUID!! Mash beans with a potato masher or whatever you mash with. Add liquid, a bit at a time, to desired consistency, but remember you want them a little runny because they thicken over time. 


Here is what mine looks like! :)?
This was my lunch today with leftover guacamole from the avocados I found on sale at Walmart this week :)...do you love the pink paper plate china? ha

No comments:

Post a Comment