This dresser has survived 3 girls and 25 years! It was my dresser in my nursery and then it was passed down to my 2 other sisters. This was back when furniture was built to last the stand of time I guess because this thing is still in relatively good shape! This is a picture that I snapped before I began the rehab. The sun was coming up behind it so there is a weird glare on the lens I couldn't seem to lose.
Love the mess in the garage? Keep in mind we just moved here in December and then spent 3 weeks in Northern California for Christmas!
I used a stripper I bought at Walmart...now that's a strange statement! Anyway it stripped the varnish off to make the job a little easier for my hubby to sand it. This is what it looked like after my amazing hubby sanded it down.
**Funny side story-I met the neighbor while outside painting and he was asking if it was my husband out there sanding the day before and I said yeah. He said oh he was out there dancing to his iPod the whole time and the neighbor starting laughing. I laughed like yep thats my hubby alright. Gotta love this guy :) I sure do!
I unscrewed the diaper changer part on top just to paint and then realized I liked it better that way anyhow. I bought Kilz spray primer with a white tint and then used Painters Touch Satin Heirloom White. I got so lucky at Home Depot! They had it in the "oops" paint section for some reason so I got it half off :) So the paint and primer cost somewhere around $9.
And the finished product:
The handles I got at Walmart for around $6 for 2 so total was $12ish
Total project cost $21! OK-so I got lucky because the dresser was given to me but I've seen some pretty cool ones that could be redone for free or really cheap on Craigslist. This was my first EVER furniture re-do but I have been reading a ton online about it and thought I would give it a try. I LOVE how it turned out! :)