My Flag Day Project? Naturally a FLAG, DUH! ;)
Today also happens to my my Mom's Birthday so I set out to find a cute gift I could make her. First I found the inspiration with the tutorial Deneen wrote of the Paint Stick Flag at her blog Dreamingincolor which I loved but I wanted something a little bit more durable.
I had 1"X2"s laying around from another project so I got to work!
1. Measure 20" on the 1"x2"s and mark it off. I used 8 20" pieces (On hand-$2) Note: Did you know that you can get scraps of wood for super cheap at the hardware store? Ask your store to find out where the scraps are!
2. Paint 4 of them white and 4 of them red. I used acrylic paint because that is what I had (On hand-?)
3. I took my staple gun to the back mainly because I'm impatient! I thought I could get away with not gluing them together until I happened to think that the starfish would break if the wood moved :(
Here is the back.
4. So then I used wood glue to the creases. Wipe with a wet terry cloth to get any excess cleaned up and let that set overnight. (On hand-$4)
5. Tape off a section you would like for the blue paint and paint 2 coats.
6. Take a sanding block to rough up the edges. I wish I had some antiquing glaze like the lady had with the paint stick flag but I didn't. If I would have had it, I would have put a coat or two on it!
7. Glue starfish ($4) and tie on twine to hang (on hand-$1)
YOU'RE DONE! :) Now, sit back and enjoy! Now I need to make myself one!